Foolproof Ways to Help Your Child Develop His Writing Skills

Writing a paper, be it a 100-word essay or  a two-page research project, can be an overwhelming task especially for kids who dread writing. Teachers can be insanely demanding sometimes. There are instances when students struggle to cope with all the homework that is required from them.

It takes an ample amount of effort especially if the topic is something that your child barely has an idea about, or worse, something that he is not interested in. Even if the niche that he’s tasked to write about is interesting, it will still take plenty of time and a tremendous amount of effort if your child does not have the skills in writing. There are instances when he might still get low grades despite of everything that he has done. Finding out that all his efforts have gone down the drain can be awfully frustrating not just for him but also for you as a parent.

Fortunately, there are several foolproof ways by which you can spare your child from having difficulties when given the task that has something to do with writing.

1. Encourage him to keep a journal or a diary.

There is no better way of honing your child to write well than urging him to write about his own experiences. It is best if he can do it on a consistent pace, preferrably on a daily basis. You can also encourage him to write short stories or articles about topics that he is inclined to.

2. Avoid the temptation of doing the writing homework for him or telling him exactly what to write.

Instead, have him create a draft and provide feedback afterwards. This will instill the value of taking ownership in him when it comes to completing his writing tasks.

3. When providing feedback, don’t focus on his errors.

Although incorrect punctuations or grammar may make you automatically cringe, make sure that you acknowledge the positive points of his writing first before discussing the things that he has to improve on. Make conscious effort to not sound like your are demeaning his writing skills.

4. Provide a variety of fun writing materials and assign a specific area in your house as his writing nook.

If your child is fond of the minions, you may opt to buy him pens with minion designs, or decorate his table with minion characters. This will make him associate writing with having fun.

5. A wide reader is usually an effective writer.

Encourage your child to be inclined to reading books. This will drastically improve his vocabulary and content organization. You can accompany him to the nearby library or bring him to the bookstore and choose a book of his liking.

6. Introduce him to technological tools that will improve his writing.

Kids nowadays are savvy when it comes to digital devices, so it makes sense to use it to the advantage of helping him be a better writer. There are interactive websites that your child can use to practice his writing skills and collaborate with other students who are on the same boat with him.

19 Comments Add yours

1. I would like to add… introduce him to the classics in literature. He’ll learn how beautiful language should sound, strengthen vocabulary and learn about style.

Liked by 1 person

1. That’s a great addition to these tips. Cheers!

2. Written communication is so important and the development even more so. Grammarly is a great tool for kids to learn from.

3. raisingyourpetsnaturally says:

These are some really great tips. It’s so hard to be a parent and know what the best way to parent is. Great ideas.

4. Claudia Krusch says:

I have always encouraged my Son to keep a journal. It is a great way to practice your writing.

5. Ang says:

My favorite has always been letting the kids draw I shaving cream. It’s pretty awesome

6. lex says:

the best bet i can give is the fact that every child needs that encouragement, when they are encouraged , they feel loved and it enables them do things in a better way as they feel loved and appreciated.

7. Nicole Caudle says:

I had my children write a journal last summer and it helped. I may have them do it again this year. They enjoyed themselves, while I didn’t have them write every day, it was at least 1-2 a week so they would work on their handwriting and writing skills

Liked by 1 person

8. These are great tips! Especially good for homeschooling mommas, right?

9. natalielovesbeauty says:

These are fantastic tips! I have enjoyed writing from a young age and many of these I did growing up.

10. beccajtalbot says:

There are some really useful tips here for parents that want to help their child develop their writing. When I was a kid I read as many books as I can, and I think this harboured a love of reading and writing x

11. toastycritic says:

I know some of these tools by heart from when I used to teach. Unfortunately, I learned them by committing errors in how I taught first. Not focusing on the negative is so important. They have to learn positives to improvement.

Liked by 1 person

12. Those are great tips on helping kids to develop writing skills. I don’t have kids at that stage yet, but I will remember these for when my kids get to be at the age for writing assignments. I bet the struggle is real for a parent to not do the assignment for their child, especially of they are struggling.

Liked by 1 person

13. I love the idea of creating a writing nook! I wouldn’t mind having one of those myself!

14. Elizabeth O says:

These are all excellent points that can help kids become less fearful or lazy with writing. As a reading teacher, I also encourage doing fun reading and writing exercises together. An activity can help in more ways than one.

15. Anosa says:

Such great tips. I, myself do a journal/diary too and I must say it helped me a lot when it comes to expressing my feelings over writing.

16. Wildish Jess says:

I have to say my 7 year old’s handwriting is so good. Way better than most in his class!

17. angrisk says:

I have 3 children and they all write completely differently! It’s so amazing to me. I love all of your tips!