How to Deal with Postpartum Hairfall

One of the many manifestations of hormonal change after pregnancy is hair loss. This gets even more noticeable three to four months after giving birth regardless if you are breastfeeding or not. You would normally see clumps of hair on the bathroom drain when you take a bath or on your comb after brushing tour hair.

Although it is normal for hair fall to occur, it can still be upsetting to gradually lose what used to be lush locks back when you were still carrying your baby inside your belly. The good news is that it normally gets better after a year. Moreover, there are surefire ways to halt the occurrence of hair loss.

1. Eat foods that are rich in Biotin, Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin A, D & C, Calcium, Selenium, Protein and Zinc.

These nutrients are essential for hair growth. By tweaking your daily intake of food to include those that can stimulate hair growth and thickness, the overall health of your locks will definitely improve in no time.

2. Choose the right hair products and wash your hair less.

Choose shampoos and conditioners that are free of paragon and sulphate contents. Also, it is necessary that you reduce the frequency of your hair being subjected to harsh styling products. However, if you have to, make sure that you choose products that are natural and loaded with nutrients to help nourish your scalp. If possible, wash your hair no more than three times in a week to avoid your scalp from secreting too much oil.

3. Consider getting a new hairstyle or having your tresses trimmed.

Adding texture to your hair by having a layered haircut or embracing your natural curl will absolutely do wonders in giving an illusion of having a lush hair. You can also opt to have your hair trimmed to get rid of split or dead ends. Having a pixie cut would also be a brilliant idea because aside from saving you an ample amount of time taking care of your hair, you will also be able to avoid risking your little one from suffering from hair tourniquet.

4. Avoid putting your hair in a tight bun or ponytail.

Tying your hair in a tight bun is equivalent to pulling each strand of your hair up. This causes your hairline to recede and your locks to be subjected to breakage. However, it is apparent that if you are sporting long locks, you have to tie your hair when carrying your baby; you don’t want him pulling your hair for sure. If you really must tie your hair up, make sure that it is loose enough… or go back to tip #3. Get yourself a new pixie cut.

5. Stimulate hair growth with supplements.

As mentioned, certain nutrients are essential to foster healthy hair. One of the essential nutrients is B-complex which contains Biotin. Biotin is essential in stimulating hair growth and healthy hair follicles. You can try taking Biotin supplements over the counter or you may ask your doctor for recommendations.

21 Comments Add yours

1. Amber says:

This is great to keep in mind. I remember losing a bit more hair while pregnant, and like you suggested I would leave it down instead of putting it into a ponytail.

2. Megan says:

Great information for anybody with hair loss concerns. I didn’t realize this was common postpartum. Thanks for the information.

3. Ciel says:

Just what I need. I have always had long and thick hair, but since I gave birth about 9 years ago, Yes, it has already been 9 years. My hair just won’t stop falling off of my head. I am actually surprised that I still have a decent amount of hair on my head. I tried hair fall control products but to no avail. Since you’ve mentioned tying my hair into a bun, Well, that has been the norm for me ever since giving birth and also since I live in a tropical country where it is always hot. So maybe that’s my problem.

4. This is big. It happened to a lot of my friends. Thanks for sharing.

5. robin rue says:

I lost A LOT of hair after my boys, but my hair was always so thick that I didn’t mind much. Great tips.

6. thehouseturnedhome says:

I have so much hair to begin with, so I was actually THRILLED when it all started falling out postpartum! These are great tips though for those who don’t have the thickest hair to begin with.

7. confettiandbliss says:

When it comes to strengthening hair and helping it grow back thicker, what I’ve learned from experience is that biotin does wonders. I’ve also heard that if you continue to take prenatal vitamins it can really help with hair growth. 🙂

8. Matt J says:

I really really hope these ideas work on men too! My father is bald. My mother’s father is bald. The future doesn’t look good for me. Thank you for sharing! I know a lot of people with either gender who associate personality and strength in their hair, in a way. As it starts to change, it’s easy to stress about identity and self image.

9. I had never heard of postpartum hair fall. Maybe coz my circle of friend isn’t having babies yet. Good to know though! xx corinne

10. chicclassyspicy says:

I am so glad I never had to deal with this with either of my girls. However, I can relate as a menopausal woman whose hair is thinning. Thesd tips are awesome and so appreciated.

11. Claudia Krusch says:

This is a perfect post for my friend her little one just turned one and her hair is still falling out.

12. Ophelia Tang says:

I love these tips. I would definitely share them with my friends who just had babies. Thank you for sharing.
    XOXO //SINCERELY OPHELIA | NYC Petite Fashion Blogger

13. Ana De-Jesus says:

My aunty lost a lot of hair but that is because she had cancer . I believe it also happened when she gave birth too. She got her hair cut into a bob so that she could deal with the post-treatment hair x

14. I’m sure this will help a lot of mothers who are dealing with hair loss. I haven’t experienced this personally but I can imagine the stress that mothers go through because of this.

15. Chemady says:

I think those that has given birth before can testify to this. I found those tips helpful.

16. Shirley says:

Thanks for sharing this post. I am facing this problem, i give birth to my daughter in March this year. I will follow these tips and i hope they will help me.

17. I had the WORST hair loss after my twins were born. It was so bad, I cried for days. I wish that I would have researched a little more, but given that these were my 3rd and 4th children I mistakenly thought I had that part under control.

18. mls3004gmailcom says:

I am about to have my third baby and I always experience this. I am looking forward to trying your tips! 🙂

19. Great tips for those suffering postpartum hair loss. It must be very difficult to deal with.

20. Ashlea says:

I take biotin to help with my hair loss. My hair became so thin and frail but it is getting back to my thick locks.

21. Aziel Morte says:

Such a good post when I gave birth to my son I experience a lot of Hair fall and it for a months before it gets back to normal