Watch: Breastmilk Under a Microscope

Breastmilk is typically referred to as liquid gold. It contains the perfect balance of water, lactose, fatty acids, amino acids, and more than a hundred ingredients that have not been replicated in any infant formula up to now. Also, it comprises antibodies that protect babies against various infections and diseases.

Jansen Howard, a 27-year old Colorado mom posted a 31-second Facebook video of a drop of breastmilk viewed under a microscope. The video currently has over 2 million views and more than 15,000 shares on Facebook. She was left in awe upon seeing how it actually looked like up close. She termed it as “the living liquid gold in motion”.

“It started out of curiosity. My daughter had a cold and I heard that your breast milk tailors antibodies and actually changes composition based on what your baby needs. I was reading an article while nursing on how there are up to a million white blood cells in each drop of breast milk. It was just so beautiful. The video doesn’t even capture all of the colors … purples, greens … a beautiful mix of shiny, colorful globs.”, she told Babble.

As requested by her followers, she posted another video a couple of days after. This time, it is the microscopic appearance of infant formula.

It is important to note that even if other moms are supplementing with infant formula, they should not be compelled to feel inferior upon being compared to breastfeeding moms. It is utter nonsense to judge mothers based on how they nourish their children; whether they decide to latch their babies on to their breasts or feed their little ones using bottles, one thing for sure is that they are doing what is best for their kids.

19 Comments Add yours

1. I breastfed both my kids, the oldest for 2.5 years and the second is still going at 2.5+ years. Breast milk is absolutely amazing!

2. It is indeed precious and nowa days this is so beautiful to have a breastmilk keepsake too.

3. Elizabeth says:

How wonderful! Isn’t the body amazing to be able to make and utilise such a wonderful substance?

4. Sarah Bailey says:

Breast milk really is amazing, I’ve seen these videos before and they absolutely fascinated me, it is obviously a somewhat untapped resource.

5. Akamatra says:

I am breastfeeding my almost 12 month old daughter and it’s one of my life achievements I feel the most proud about. I did give her formula when she needed more milk and although it pained me to do so, I stand behind my decision to do so.

6. New Labels Only says:

Liquid gold indeed. I have always been told by Mid wives to breast feed because of the nutrients it contain for the baby development. Love the video too!

7. raisingyourpetsnaturally says:

Wow. That’s pretty amazing. How much the power of real food, real nutrition has!

8. Nancy says:

Over 2 million views and more than 15,000 shares on Facebook?! WOW. I wouldn´t have expected such curiosity, but am also fascinated after watching. Sad that some moms prefer not to breastfeed when its clearly a benefit for babies.

9. Chemady says:

wow! This looks great. Breast milk has a lot of health benefit for the kids.

10. Anosa says:

Wow I have never seen this video before, the difference betweent the 2 is amazing! I unfortunately could not breastfeed my son as he had allergies and ahd to have a specific formula and I was gutted! Like you said though everyone is different and they still get what they need regardless of which route you use

11. fashionmommywm says:

Thank you so much for that last paragraph, I couldn’t breast feed due to being very ill and on copious amounts of drugs, my milk would not have been the best choice for my baby.

12. I’m breastfeeding my baby and this is a cool post. I love that video that the woman did. So very neat.
    Yes I refer to my milk as liquid gold.

13. What’s important is that the children are getting the nutrients they need. It shouldn’t matter whether it’s a formula or breast milk everyone does things differently.

14. Tori says:

The colors are beautiful and the post is informative! Who would have thought there are up to a million white blood cells in each drop of breast milk! It’s one of nature’s medicines.

15. Amanda Love says:

Breastmilk is amazing and I do believe in its benefits. I, however, don’t like the idea of people judging moms who feed their children formula. Some moms have trouble producing milk and sometimes there are also health concerns. I think it’s nice that you mentioned that they shouldn’t be judged.

16. toastycritic says:

I didn’t realize about all of the white blood cells but it does kind of make sense with nourishment. Very cool.

17. Elizabeth O says:

How fascinating! The video is beautiful and yes breastmilk is nourishing for a baby. I also agree with you that a mother has every right to feed her baby as she sees fit. Some babies don’t take to breast milk and so formula can be a lifesaver.

18. lex says:

important to note a few things here that i never knew of this, one will wonder if all such knowledge was stored richly in here till the microscopic view but at the end of the day am glad i now know more than i did before now. a good read and worthy share for all mamas.

19. that’s pretty fascinating. The better we understand what nourishment and protections breastmilk provides it will be helpful in creating similar milk for mother’s who are unable to produce a sufficient amount of milk or choose not to breastfeed.