Tripping Down the Guilt Lane

Being a working mom is a real struggle. Don’t get me wrong; I love my job and I’m grateful that I’m well-compensated. What bothers me is the guilt of not being able to take care of my little one as much as I want to.

I feel guilty that I’m only able to spare too little time for him each day. I spend almost 12 hours in total working and travelling to and from my workplace. I sleep for approximately 5 hours per day, sometimes less. That leaves me with just 7 hours to squeeze in everything from eating, taking a shower, washing bottles and pump parts, pumping, doing some household chores and finally, spending time with my baby.

I feel bad that I have to pump instead of having him latch directly. I was able to do it during the entire span of my maternity leave but I had to feed him my breastmilk in a bottle when I returned to work a couple of months post partum.

I dread that I have to let somebody else take care of him instead of doing it by myself. Knowing how clingy my son is, I worry about him not being held too much when I’m away from home.

I feel guilty that I’m not the one who changes his nappies all the time. I feel like a shit mom for not having the time to wash his clothes by myself. I dread that I can’t always be the one to lull him to sleep and play with him.

I feel guilty about a lot of things…and it sucks. Definitely, mom guilt has smacked me really hard. I guess I just have to keep on reminding myself that I’m doing what’s best for him.

7 Comments Add yours

1. RM says:

I think at one time or another we have all felt mom guilt…The thing to remember is that we are doing the best can 🙂

2. What parent hasn’t felt a bit of guilt every now and again? We are, after all, only human. And guilt is par for the course.

3. Claudia Krusch says:

I think all parents feel guilt at some reason. I always wonder if I could have done things better a situation happens.

4. Elizabeth O says:

When the new company I joined relocated me to California, my kids were in grade school and we decided that I should go alone and not take them out of school. I felt some guilt but compensated by accumulating hundreds of thousands of miles coming home every other weekend.

5. themomnoms says:

I pretty much feel mom guilt everyday. I feel it when I’m cooking, when I’m working, when I’m doing anything that doesn’t directly involve playing with my kid. I hate it and I know that I shouldn’t feel this way, but I always will.

6. Jess Holmes says:

For sure but I usually have a valid reason why I had to stand my ground and not give in. Its hard but you do it.

7. MaJoy Eticabla says:

We can’t help to feel guilt at times especially when the kids get sick. That’s when we start to ask ourselves “what have I done wrong?” (MaJoy Eticabla)